"When an old and distinguished person speaks to you, listen to him carefully and with respect – but do not believe him. Never put your trust in anything but your own intellect. Your elder, no matter whether he has gray hair or lost his hair, no matter whether he is a Nobel Laureate, may be wrong... So you must always be skeptical – always think for yourself." --Linus Pauling

8.03.2003

Epiphany: In which the discovery is made that I am in all fact, a complete dolt.

She took me out for dinner in honor of my birthday, belatedly, Thursday evening. We drove around for about an hour, as she was trying to be spontaneous and pick a place that she could barely remember. Thing is, she picked me up at nine, and by ten the restaurants she had in mind were starting to close.

After wandering around like this for a bit we finally ended up in Tangiers-- a restaurant in Los Feliz. Dinner was great, and then she gave me a present of Rilke's Letters to a Young Poet. For such a small book, it has a lot of meat to chew on. It is one of the most wonderful thoughtful gifts anyone has ever given to me.

I might be falling in love with this girl.

Anyway, I should point out that the "date" as it were ended badly. I realize that sometimes I reveal my emotions with about as much charm as an Old Testament god. It's about that appealing too. Ugh. I'm certain she thinks I'm an idiot.

No comments: